Top Seven Tips To Calm Driving Anxiety:
- Take along a friend or family member whenever possible. This distracts your brain from spending all of its energy on worrying about driving and forces you to focus on the conversation.
- Stay in the right hand lane (slow lane) if you’re on a multiple lane road. This will reduce tailgators and give you an easy escape route to an exit or the shoulder of the road if necessary.
- Always take along a bottle of ice cold water. Should driving anxiety make your throat dry this will provide immediate relief
- Listen to calm, soothing music while you’re drive. Never listen to news programs or opinion-based talk radio. These programs seem to always dwell on bad news which will only add to your stress levels.
- Take the long way to your destination. You can probably get to nearly everywhere you need to go by using slower side streets.
- Listen to books on cd or cassette tape while you drive. These days you can find tons of great book material in audio format. Again, this will calm your mind as you focus on the content and not think about the driving part as much.
- If you start getting anxious slow your breathing down and take deep breaths from your abdomen instead of shallow breaths from your chest. Hold the air in for a few seconds and slowly exhale for the count of ten. Deep breathing will help steady your heart beat and help you to relax immediately
Remember that nearly everyone has some levels of anxiety while driving a car so you’re no different than anyone else on the road. The key is keeping your driving fear from progressing into a panic attack driving problem which is more difficult to recover from. Using the seven tips above will make sure you’ll keep your stress and anxiety in check and get to your destination safe and sound.
If these steps are not enough please learn more by clicking here: http://budurl.com/StopDrivingAnxiety